From Welcoming Guests to Building a Life That Works


 For almost a decade, hospitality was my world.

I worked my way through reception, guest relations, front office supervision, and management. Hospitality taught me how to stay calm under pressure, solve problems quickly, communicate with people from every walk of life, and make sure every guest felt valued.

If you've ever worked in hospitality, you'll know that no two days are the same.

Early mornings. Late nights. Weekends. Holidays. Last-minute emergencies. Staffing challenges. Endless multitasking.

I genuinely loved the industry. It gave me confidence, resilience, and skills that I know will stay with me for life.

Then I became a mum.

Suddenly, success looked different.

My daughter is now 18 months old, and like many parents, I've realised that the career I once built around unpredictable shifts doesn't fit the life I want to create anymore.

I don't want to miss bedtime because I'm covering a late shift.

I don't want to spend every weekend working while everyone else is making memories.

I want to build a career that allows me to be present while still doing work I genuinely enjoy.

That doesn't mean I wanted to leave behind everything hospitality taught me.

Quite the opposite.

Hospitality gave me more transferable skills than I ever realised.

When people hear "hotel receptionist" or "front office supervisor," they often think it's simply checking guests in and answering phones.

The reality is very different.

Hospitality taught me how to:

  • Manage multiple priorities at once.
  • Stay organised under constant pressure.
  • Solve problems before they became bigger issues.
  • Communicate professionally with clients, suppliers, and colleagues.
  • Handle confidential information with discretion.
  • Coordinate diaries, bookings, travel, and events.
  • Deliver exceptional customer service every single day.
  • Adapt quickly when plans changed.

Looking back, those are exactly the skills businesses need from a Virtual Assistant.

Building something that fits my family

Like many families across Ireland, we're currently renting while working towards buying our own home.

That goal motivates me every day.

I want to contribute financially while also having the flexibility to be there for my daughter as she grows up.

Starting Best You VA isn't about escaping work.

It's about creating work that fits the life I'm building.

It's about using the experience I've spent years developing to support business owners who need someone reliable, organised, and proactive behind the scenes.

Whether that's managing emails, organising calendars, handling customer enquiries, bookkeeping, or taking care of the admin that steals valuable time, I genuinely enjoy helping businesses run more smoothly.

Sometimes the best career move isn't starting over.

It's recognising that the skills you've spent years building can take you somewhere new.

Hospitality will always be part of who I am.

It taught me professionalism, resilience, and how to put people first.

Now I'm simply applying those same values in a different way.

To every parent wondering whether it's possible to build a career around family, and to every hospitality professional considering a new direction...

Your experience is valuable.

Your skills are transferable.

And sometimes the next chapter isn't about leaving your old career behind.

It's about letting it become the foundation for something even better.

All the Best, 

Shauna


If you're a small business owner who needs dependable administrative support, I'd love to connect and chat about how Best You VA can help lighten your workload.

E: info.bestyoucva@gmail.com

FB: https://www.facebook.com/BestYouVA

IG: https://www.instagram.com/bestyouva/

LI: https://www.linkedin.com/company/best-you-va/?viewAsMember=true

(yes this is also published on my LinkedIn business page)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop Talking About It. Start Doing It.

From Front Desk to Virtual Desk: Why I Started My Own Business